Bash (Bourne-Again SHell) is a Linux and Unix-like system shell or command language interpreter. It is a default shell on many operating systems including Linux and Apple OS X.
Here are a list of tutorials and helpful resources to help you learn bash scripting and bash shell itself.
1. BASH Programming – Introduction HOW-TO : This tutorials intends to help you to start programming basic-intermediate shell scripts. It does not intend to be an advanced document.
2. Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide : An in-depth exploration of the art of shell scripting. A must read to master bash shell scripting for all Unix users.
3. Learn Bash In Y Minutes : A quick tour of bash programming language.
4. BASH Frequently Asked Questions : Greg’s Wiki includes answers to many bash programming problems in Q & A format.
5. Linux Shell Scripting Tutorial : A beginners bash shell scripting handbook for new Linux users, sysadmins and school students studying Linux/Unix or computer science.
6. Bash Hackers Wiki : This wiki provide human-readable documentation and information for bash includes tons of examples.
7. Google’s Shell Style Guide : A thorough and general purpose understanding of bash programming by Google.
8. bash — Standard Shell : A thorough understanding of bash programming for Gentoo developers by Gentoo project.
10. Bash By Examples Part I, II, and III : Fundamental programming in the BASH where you will learn how to program in bash by example.
11. Bash Guide for Beginners : This is a practical guide which, while not always being too serious, tries to give real-life instead of theoretical examples.
12. Unix Shells: Bash vs Fish vs Ksh vs Tcsh vs Zsh : Great comparison cheat sheet for various Unix shells.
13. General coding style guide : This will help to make your code more readable.
14. Better bash scripting in 15 minutes : These tips and tricks will make you better at bash shell scripting.
15. Defensive bash programming : Learn how to defend your bash programs from breaking, and keep the code tidy and clean with these useful tips.
Have a favorite online bash tutorial or new books? Let’s hear about it in the comments below.